Mr Thomas — Lynden Christian High School English
The Mechanics of Poetry – Reading for Form
Poems can take a couple of forms:
- Lyric – reflection on an idea/theme (not told in sequence)
- Narrative – tells a story
- Didactic – written to instruct (sets out to teach a lesson)
- Ode — written to celebrate
- Elegy — a reflection on death and dying
- Lament — an extended reflection on pain and sorrow
Read Baudelaire’s poem The Swan and answer the prompt below using the 3-C Method (your topic sentence should include one of the terms above and should discuss a detail that makes it so).
“Why tell this story?”
Before you read, click here and get some background information.